Before you invest in any landscape lighting, ask yourself what are your purposes/intentions for wanting illumination in your backyard. It is a vital factor to be cleared before you start working. Perhaps, you want to set a soft, pleasant mood during the evening hours. Or maybe you have a bench or a gloomy garden corner you need to illuminate for security reasons. Solar Landscape lighting is a requisite for a path leading through the garden to mark its boundaries. You might want to highlight some standout features of your backyard like a water fountain or a pond, and so on.
Landscape lighting is trending now, as it elevates the aesthetic appeal of your workspace and even your living space as well. A well-set landscape with stunning lighting designs sets an image or a signature of yours, and solar lights will help to save the energy, money and are versatile as well. So, create a stunning landscape that can be enjoyed during the day and night with inventive solar outdoor lighting solutions.
Sketch your yard first
After you are done with defined your reasons for wanting to add landscape lighting, sketch your yard. Include existing lights, buildings, benches, trees and shrubs, as well as the vegetation and decorations of the garden in the sketch. Each of these will reflect or absorb the light. After that, estimate the height of each of the objects, especially, do not forget to measure the foliage.
Finalise the location for landscape lighting:
Match the reason for lighting to specific locations in your backyard. You may want to illuminate a bench along the path with a pole-type lamp placed behind it. A soft mood can be achieved by hiding landscape lighting under shrubs. A path may require a series of short stake lights along its border on one side or on both sides. A water fountain can be enhanced with a spotlight, and a pond can have soft lighting around its perimeter.
Determine your efforts:
The landscape lighting that requires the greatest effort to install is 120-volt lighting. Wiring for these types of garden lights must be buried at a depth of 18 inches or encased in conduit to protect it from water. A licensed electrician has to install the electrical components.
Low-voltage landscape lighting for the backyard needs only an outdoor receptacle and a transformer. The transformer converts the 120 volts coming from the household line to a usable 12 volts to operate the lights.
The easiest landscape lighting to place in the backyard is solar lighting. This type of lighting has no cords to be hidden. It should be positioned in such a way that the photovoltaic cell in the lighting fixture receives enough light during the day to allow it to shine at night.
Set a budget and buy the lights:
- Most expensive: High-voltage landscape lighting would cost you around $100 or more per light.
- Information: Add on the cost of labor for the electrical contractor installing the wiring to cost of lighting for an additional fee.
- Lower cost: Low-voltage landscape lighting would cost you around $30 to $300 per light.
- Information: This type of lighting can easily be installed by a do-it-yourselfer(DIY).
- Cheap & best: Solar lighting.
- Info: Since solar lights rely upon the rays of the sun and an inbuilt photovoltaic device to work, they do not necessitate installation costs or a lot of money to operate. The initial price of the solar lights is the only cost which will be incurred.
Tip: If you’re lighting a darkened portion of your garden and the solar landscape light will not receive adequate sunlight during the day, you will need to have a solar panel installed in a high-sunlight location and run wiring to your solar lights.
How to set up the lighting?
If you wish to highlight a single item in your garden like a statue, gazing ball or fountain, you should consider using a few landscape lighting fixtures with lower intensity bulbs. Place these at various angles and distances. A single bright light shining directly on the object will create harsh shadows.
Landscape lights that make soft spots of light are good for garden paths. Space the lights at equal distances along the path you want to be illuminated. Blue tinted lights allow for a moonlight-type mood in your garden landscape.
Outdoor landscape lighting:
With carefully placed outdoor lights, you can enjoy the ambience of your garden into the evening. How do you create a yard that’s light years ahead of others? One way is to make the space usable at night. Since many people work or play till long after the sun goes down, they often don’t have time to enjoy their backyard until the evening hours. Add outdoor lighting, and your garden is immediately transformed into usable space.
“Most people don’t realize this, but the backyard is a whole new room that they haven’t explored fully”. “You have the option to go beyond that light bulb at the doorway.” Good lighting can bring Zen-like qualities to any setting. You can rediscover the perimeter of your property, make it fun to entertain and highlight points of interest, such as sculptures or fountains.
A recent trend in outdoor lighting is light-emitting diodes or LEDs. They already light up car dashboards and laptops so why not the backyard? “LED lights are used especially for effect, style and design so the idea is not to try to get a huge amount of light”.
A reflector light, on the other hand, is meant to cast a lot of light. A big difference between LEDs and reflectors is their energy use; the reflector light uses a 35-watt lamp while the LED uses one watt. Most LED lights are also programmable.
Low-voltage lighting is another recent trend in outdoor lighting. Most homes use 120 volts of power, while low-voltage lighting uses about 12 volts, eliminating the need for deep trenches that hold the wiring. Low-voltage lights can be used for down-lighting or for up-lighting. Read more on outdoor lights.
Be careful when mounting lights around the plants. Here, the light was mounted right onto the tree with screws, and, without monitoring, eventually, the tree grew around the light fixture. Driving nails or screws into a growing tree causes an injury that triggers a healing response, like scar tissue forming over a wound.
Another option for mounting any fixture to a tree is to use a strap device. Straps can be made of cloth or a nylon-type product that has a clip device that can be adjusted over the life of the tree.
You can always up-light with on-ground lights and get around the dreaded “glare in the eye” hazard, or try an in-ground light. This type of light can be adjusted to up-light and showcase the structure of a tree.
Outdoor Solar Lights
So, after getting to know all the necessary info on how to choose the wall lights, its time to level up. So, check the solar outdoor wall lights. Outdoor solar wall lights are a simple and low-cost way to add beautiful, warm accent lighting to your outdoor spaces.
- Ideal for lighting decks, outdoor steps, fences, or around a pool, our solar wall lights are a simple and low-cost way to add beautiful, warm white accent lighting to your outdoor spaces. And since they’re solar powered LEDs you’ll never need to worry about wiring, finding an outlet, replacing a bulb, or your electric bill.
- You don’t always need electricity to add lighting in certain areas of your home or business. Skip the hassle of rewiring and go with a stylish solar wall light from Earthtech Products. These wall-mounted fixtures offer bright LED lighting that illuminates spaces perfectly without the use of an outlet or in-wall wiring. Instead, you can simply install the light with the included wall mounting brackets or accessories in the exact location you want.
- Then, subtle solar panels will collect energy to give you beautiful illumination throughout the day. These solar panel wall lights are especially popular near entryways, garages, decks and other outdoor spaces where the lamps can collect plenty of energy. The illumination they offer is attractive and can even add a layer of safety to your property.
- With other types of wall-mounted lights, you’ll have to jump through hoops to make sure you can have it wired properly. Plus, you’ll face the increase in your utility bills if you plan to use the light often. That’s a real concern for people who want a light that stays on all night outdoors.
By choosing solar wall mount light, you eliminate those concerns can get easy, hassle-free lighting wherever you need it. Another bonus, of course, is that solar lighting is much better for the environment. So you can enjoy that beautiful and bright LED illumination without feeling guilty about your carbon footprint.
How solar lights work?
The solar light has a solar panel that converts sunlight into electricity. During the day, the converted electricity is stored in the rechargeable Ni-MH batteries. At night, the solar light is powered by the batteries using the electricity stored during the day. Tip for the winter: Keep debris and snow off the solar panel to allow the batteries to recharge.
Check out these Solar Outdoor Wall Lights:
LITOM solar spotlights can be widely used for garden, pathway, fences, wall, yard, stair, garage, cellar, attic, front porch, balcony, walkway, driveway, camping, fishing, etc. Charging during the daytime, this solar landscape light automatically runs from dusk till dawn.
Features – Two lighting modes are available
- Low Light Mode: Press the power button once, the light will charge during the day and automatically light up DIM light in darkness or at night.
- High Light Mode: Press the button twice, the landscape light will charge during the day and automatically light up BRIGHT light in darkness or at night.
Light up your favorite tree or turret with the Nekteck Solar Spot Light. four built-in super bright LED lights are surrounded by reflective housing for a strong beam of brightness to light any prizewinning outdoor feature. On one day’s charge, the light will stay bright for up to 8-10 hours, and automatically runs from dusk till dawn – although there’s a manual on/off button for evenings when you don’t feel like putting on airs for the neighbours.
- Bigger solar panels to absorb more sunshine
- 200 Lumen output LED to shine a brighter light
- 2 in 1 installation – Stick into the ground./Use included screws to mount on the wall
- 180 angle Adjustable (90 degrees for the solar panel, 90 degrees for the light head)
- 2 modes – high light mode & dim light mode
- Power Source: Solar-Powered
- Waterproof level: IP64
- Charging time:4-5 hours under direct sunlight
- Working time: about 6 – 10 hours
- Battery: 18500 lithium battery 3.7V 2200mAh
- LED: 10mm 0.5W
- Color temperature: 2800-3000K
- Dimensions: 29*9.5*34 cm
XMCOSY outdoor solar lights provide possibilities for lighting our outdoor space. Adjustable brightness allows us to use them for lighting, decorating or outdoor activities. And solar power brings our garden more eco-friendly and closer to nature.
- These outdoor solar lights are powered by solar panels, the storage power from a 600mAH aluminum battery is enough to light up the whole night. Besides, XMCOSY adopts waterproof technology to protect whole light include the battery. No need to worry about the duration anymore!
- The adopted luminance technology allows adjusting the brightness freely between 10 and40LM. The smart choice for pathway lighting, outdoor activities and garden decoration!
- The solar garden lights adopted unique bronze appearance design, which can perfectly blend in various styles. Whether it’s vintage, warm or modern, they can be the best decorations.
- These pathway lights adopted the solar charging technology, which will automatically start charging after being turned on, without connecting other power sources. Brightness sensing technology allows XMCOSY+ outdoor solar lights to turn on and off automatically, making our gardens a part of nature.
Designed with waterproof and heatproof ABS materials which give it the ability to stand extreme weather conditions including rains, sunlight, storms, and snows.
- PREMIUM QUALITY MATERIALS: LED light incorporates high-grade quality compound semiconductor materials. It comprises 4 bright LED Bulbs, of 50 Lumens Each, 200 Lumens in total with Built-in 18650 lithium-ion rechargeable battery.
- HASSLE-FREE INSTALLATION: The solar light is easy to install and maintain. It requires no tools and wiring system for installation.
- OPTIMAL BATTERY PERFORMANCE: Our solar LED light has a rechargeable 2200mah lithium-ion battery capacity which powers the light for 6-9 hours after a full charge.
- ADJUSTABLE LED LIGHT: You can adjust the lighting direction up and down between 90 degrees and rotate the solar panel up to 180 degrees for a brilliant lighting experience.
- AUTOMATED LIGHTS: The LIGHT unit comes on at dusk and goes off at dawn in an operation controlled by a sensor that puts on the light at night and switches it off at sunrise.
- QUALITY: This LED solar light offers top-notch service for your money.
GIGALUMI solar landscape light is a good outdoor illumination choice your pathway, enhances visibility and sets a decorative pattern. This Aluminum Coated Solar Light is bright enough to light up your pathway/ walkway. The beautiful warm white lighting pattern creates a very comfortable and romantic atmosphere. With the Highly Transparent Glass Lamp Cover, light has a good illumination effect that is really comfortable and fascinating. Perfect for patio, garden, lawn, villa, balcony, flowerbed and any outdoor areas.
- Set: 6 Pc
- Color: Brown
- Material: Glass & Bronze finish metal
- Battery: 1.2V 400mAh Ni-MH AA rechargeable battery
- Solar panel: 2V 0.8W
- Working time: 10 hours after full charge
- Package includes: 6 x GIGALUMI Solar Landscape Lights
With the Tom Care solar lights, you can have the warm torch light without ever having to light a match or throw a switch. Best of all, there are no dangerous flames; LEDs in the light cast a safe, soft, mood-enhancing glow.
During the daytime, they are retracted and absorbing solar energy. At dusk, they literally pop up and light up, giving you lights along a pathway, driveway, deck or dock that aren’t in your way during the day. Includes installation hardware, completely wireless. Powered by a rechargeable battery that’s solar-powered. Up to 12 hours working time after fully charged.
- Ambient lighting ideal for your patio, deck or garden
- Automatically turns on at dusk and off at dawn
- Normal operating time is 12 hours in summer
- No wiring required; simply install and enjoy Solar technology (powered by an integral mono crystalline solar panel)
- Package includes: 4 x Solar Torch Lights4 x Extend Pipe4 x Plastic Ground Spike 1 x Manual
The Sunwind solar outdoor lights have got non-glaring lampshade. The lampshade with unique mist surface treatment, Non-Glaring effect is better to mark your pathway and make your lawn, garden, yard or patio looks noble and elegant.
- No wires or electricity required: The solar bollard lights are runs completely on solar power, no wires or electricity required. Quickly install by pushing the solar pathway lights into the ground.
- Eco-friendly: 6 lumens output with one warm white LED. The solar outdoor lights absorb sunlight during the day to recharge the AA Ni-Mh environment-friendly batteries and will remain on for up to 8 hours if fully charged. Just enjoy free lighting for the whole night.
- Weather-Resistant: Never worry about exposing the solar lights to the rain, snow or frosting. These solar landscape lights made of stainless steel which can work normally under all kinds of weather.
- These solar path lights have a 365-day warranty.
The Lucstar solar lights have got pretty hollow designed flower lights. The bionic flowers consist of 5 hollow petals and 6 green leaves, the beautiful ball shines yellow retro light Pattern, perfect for decoration in our lawn garden courtyard pathway park, create a more charming and lowly surrounding.
- Strong Metal Leaf – Flower lights leaves are made of painted hard metal, It can resist heavy rain, hail, wind and snow in four seasons.
- Vintage Hollow-Carved – Beautiful yellow lights with designed spot and five star-shape in a wonderful night.
- Crackle Glass Sphere – The yellow glass sphere is carved as crackle which can reflect a Beautiful pattern light picture.
The beauty of handblown artisan glass combined with solar LED lighting for a unique and soft glow at night. Each glass globe is a unique work of art, perfect for decorating your garden, patio or deck. Solar lanterns charge by day and glow at night (with full charge lights will glow for 4+ hours), place in direct sunlight for best results. LED system uses one rechargeable battery and solar panel – all parts are replaceable + lanterns carry one (1) year warranty.
- Brighten your surroundings with an Aurora Glow Solar Glass String of Six Globes in Clear with Amber from Allsop.
- Made of hand-blown glass, each string is unique.
- String your lights to create instant ambience on your deck, arbour, archway, umbrella, tree, wreath, fence line or anywhere.
- Each string measures 25 feet in length with a solar collector that measures 4-Inch by 4-Inch.
- Once the glow fades, simply replace the AA battery and continue enjoying your lights.
Brighten your surroundings with a Solar Tea Lantern from Allsop. Made of hand-blown glass, each Lantern is unique. Hang your lantern to create instant ambience from a tree, your deck, arbour, archway, umbrella, tree, wreath, fence line or anywhere.
- Each tabletop hand-blown glass lanterns measures 4-1/2-Inch round by 5-Inch high and has a steel hanging handle molded into the housing compartment along with a built-in light sensor, solar panel, a rechargeable coin cell battery and a warm-white LED light.
- This lantern has an on-off switch and is designed to be left on, providing its glow for up to 2 years. Once the glow fades, simply replace the battery and continue enjoying your lights.
- Each lantern is a handblown work of art and so the color variation inside will vary slightly from lantern to lantern.
- This solar garden light is known for unique combinations of green solar technology, efficient LED lighting, artisan hand-blown glass and use of other creative materials with solar power.
How to install in-ground light fixtures?
To place the fixture, dig an 18-inch-deep hole and backfill it about halfway with gravel to enhance drainage around the light. Insert the extra cable into the hole, leaving enough cord length to connect to the power source. Then insert the plastic housing for the light into the hole. Add a few more inches of gravel around the unit to stabilize it. Slide the lamp into the housing; this one has a spring clip for a snug fit.
Most lights come with an assortment of lenses to customize the look. For instance, a 45-degree cutoff is an egg-crate louvred device that eliminates glare as you get closer to or farther away from the lens. Insert the lens over the lamp and add a 45-degree cutoff over the lens.
Replace the lid and cover the above-ground power cord with mulch. Connect the cord to the power source. Make sure the light is turned on and adjust the light as needed. Note: Consult an electrician for assistance in wiring and installing outdoor lighting systems.
Create additional interesting in the evening landscape with artisan lights. They add whimsy and personality to the yard. Use them to light a pathway or illuminate a dining area. For drama and eye-catching appeal, install a spotlight to showcase a sparkling fountain. Small-sized spotlights abound, including the MR-11, the smallest spotlight available. There are even ones designed for underwater lighting.
Bring lighting up into the air with brightly colored Chinese lanterns. Or, add a soft romantic ambience with sheer globe lights. In order to hide light fixtures so they’re not noticeable day or night, pile rocks around the fixture. “At night you’ll see the light peeking out from the rocks, giving its magical look to the stone, and nobody gets glare in their eye, no matter how they look at the fountain”.
Lights for a Low-Budget:
Armed with some creative advice from lighting experts, a budget-minded bathroom makeover need not leave you in the dark. Just by swapping out old light fixtures for decorative new sconces and a dramatic chandelier, and adding some accent lighting, you can update the personality, not to mention the functionality, of your bath. And with prices for high-fashion light fixtures starting at around $50, you can do it all on a modest budget. Now that’s a bright idea.
“One of the hottest design trends we are seeing at Lowe’s is placing chandeliers in the bathroom”. Typically smaller and more delicate than those used elsewhere in the home, bath chandeliers can transform the look of a room while providing elegant, soft overhead illumination.
When combined with task and accent lighting, an appropriately sized chandelier will help create a “layered” lighting effect in the bath. In addition to suitable size — a chandelier must be hung above head-height — homeowners will want to select a style and finish that complements the style of the room. Wrought-iron is the natural choice for traditionally styled baths, while Tiffany-inspired models may better suit an Arts and Crafts bungalow.
According to Wilson, Lowe’s carries a wide array of affordable, fashionable chandeliers. The delicately styled and ultra-popular Portfolio chandelier features three faux candles, crystal pendants and chains.
If your bathroom doesn’t already have them, Linda Whitcomb, owner of Village Kitchen & Bath in Hyannis, Mass, recommends installing a pair of wall sconces on either side of the bathroom mirror. Not only do sconces eliminate unwanted shadows cast on the face from overhead lighting, but they also provide another opportunity to dress up the bath.
“Beautiful sconces can add that decorative high-fashion look to the bathroom for not a lot of money”. And they are much more attractive than the traditional three- and four-bulb chrome boxes mounted above the mirror.
Whitcomb is seeing a trend toward clean lines and graceful curves, but also notes that shabby chic is still alive and well when it comes to sconces. “Sconces with flowers and jewels and colored doodads are very popular”.
Whitcomb finds that World Imports Decorative Lighting has a wonderful collection of affordable sconces, some costing as little as $70 each. Read more on wall sconces.
“Properly placed accent lighting can produce a tremendous amount of excitement in the bathroom”. Placed under vanities, above cabinets, even mounted beneath a translucent countertop, accent lighting introduces warmth and drama to a room. It can also make a small room appear larger.
Grahl prefers low-voltage, high-intensity xenon accent lighting to illuminate crown molding, down-light a sink or vanity, or add gentle illumination from beneath translucent countertops, such as glass, resin or stone. Xenon bulbs provide a clean, crisp white light while giving off less heat than halogen bulbs.
Dimmers, bulbs and candles:
Dimmers allow the homeowner to enhance the bathroom’s brightness in the morning when getting ready, and then decrease it later in the evening, perhaps while soaking in the tub. “Dimmers really do create a relaxing mood”. And installing one is a snap.
In that same vein, replacing harsh white lights or unflattering fluorescents with warm-tone bulbs will bring a warm, cozy feel to the bath. The slightly pink color tone is very complementary on the skin, making it appear more natural.
“People often overlook candles as a great way of adding personality to the bath for minimal cost”. Placed around the room, lighted candles bring a sense of calm and serenity in ways other lights can’t. Use candles of varying heights and shapes for added effect. For safety, keep candles at a safe distance from flammable items.
By now you’ll be knowing essential factors needed to set up a perfect landscape with energy-saving solar lights. We have covered the necessary tips, how-to install guide and all the info on the lighting requisites. To make it even simpler, we have even included the steps, along with the materials and tools required. Follow these tips and tricks and set up a glorious landscape!