Yes, LEDs are the best choice to glam-up your outdoors. Once, LED bulbs were prohibitively expensive for home use. But, they are now one of the most affordable, energy-efficient, and dynamic lighting options available. LEDs offer some of the best functional and decorative lighting for landscaping and general exterior lighting, giving homeowners new tools and designs to bring up a whole new level of style & elegance to their home and yard.
Why are LEDs so unique?
LEDs have incredible lasting power. To be specific, LED bulbs have an average lifespan of 50,000 hours. The span of LEDs is more than 30x longer than traditional incandescent bulbs, and over 5x longer than Compact Fluorescent (CFL) bulbs. While CFL bulbs are commonly thought to be the most environmentally friendly lighting choice, LEDs use less than half as much energy as CFLs do and cost much less to run.
LED lights are powerful than CFLs
By knowing the notable energy efficiency of LEDs, one might expect them to be less powerful than CFLs and other popular lighting choices. But, the truth is actually the exact opposite. LEDs have even replaced superpowered metal halide lights in many indoor facilities. The powerful nature of LEDs makes them an ideal choice for outdoor usage, and they can be typically used with a dimmer to fine-tune brightness. Amazingly, these high powered bulbs often stay cool to the touch even after hours of use, as they burn at a minimal temperature than other lighting types.
How LEDs are Incorporated into Landscape Lighting?
LED bulbs are minimal in size, allowing for application in strip lighting, socket bulbs, and various fixtures. As a whip hand, due to their versatility, LEDs have a high resistance to humidity, extreme temperatures, and can be turned on and off frequently without suffering damage. These factors make them an ideal choice for outdoor lighting. Unlike other lighting choices, LEDs can typically be used in close proximity to landscaping without carrying a risk of burning or otherwise damaging trees, vegetation, or building materials. Popular outdoor LED lighting options include:
1. Strip or “Ribbon” LEDs.
LED strips and ribbons are an affordable option that offers incredible opportunities for customization. Strips are available in styles similar to Christmas lights or sleeker and thinner ribbon-style flat reels that can be used virtually anywhere.
Check out top two bestselling LED strip lights
The LE 12v LED strip light, is affordable, and you get a non-blue-ish bright white. It really elevates the look and is super easy to install. These make a great cabinet light.
- Safe to use: The working voltage is 12V. Extremely low heat. It is touchable and safe for children. The wattage is 18W, Please be kindly informed that the total wattage of LED strip lights should not exceed the max wattage of the power adaptor.
- Cuttable and linkable: Easy to cut and use with Lighting EVER accessory. It can be cut every 3 LEDs along with the cutting marks, without damaging the rest strips.
- Flexible operations: Slim, compact and flexible PCB strip. Mount end-to-end for bendable or angled patterns, or in continuous rows.
- Reduce re-lamp frequency: Lifespan is over 50000 hrs. Save effort and maintenance costs on changing lights frequently.
- RoHS compliant: No battery. No lead or mercury. No UV or IR Radiation.
The Philips Hue White and Color Light strip Plus provides limitless possibilities for an extraordinary experience. Add a Light Strip Plus to your Philips Hue system and create an immersive experience under bars or cabinets and behind entertainment systems. The Light strip Plus gives the flexibility to bend, cut and extend for the application of your choice.
- MAXIMUM COMPATIBILITY: Pair your Hue smart bulbs with any Voice or Smart Home assistant. Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, Microsoft Cortana, SmartThings, IFTTT. Hub required and included
- HASSLE-FREE CONNECTIVITY: Smart Lights that won’t clog up your Wi-Fi network. Control up to 50 Hue lights on one Hue Hub without adding a Wi-Fi extender or extra router
- ULTIMATE ENTERTAINMENT EXPERIENCE: Sync your Hue lights with Gaming, Music and Movies using your PC via the Hue Sync app
- NEXT-LEVEL AUTOMATION: Hue is a Smart Lighting system that remembers your light routines and timers, even when your Wi-Fi goes down
- CONTROL LIGHTING FROM ANYWHERE: Take your Smart Light control using your mobile device with you when you travel. Control lights, edit routines and set timers even when you’re away from home
- INDUSTRY STANDARD: Philips Hue is the only smart lighting product with Energy Star certification and its smart light bulbs last up to 22 years
These are the top two bestselling LED strip lights you could buy on amazon.
2. Socket LED Bulbs.
These are similar to traditional light bulbs and are available in sizes that work with all light sockets. LED bulbs can be used for decorative and functional spotlighting, pendant or ceiling lighting for patios and pools, motion-based security lighting, and much more.
3. Lantern and Ground Lighting.
LEDs are a perfect fit for lantern style fixtures, whether they are hung from a tree or attached to the exterior of a home. Ground based light fixtures are also a perfect fit for LEDs, as they can be tuned to provide the perfect desired level of light for both security and atmosphere.
Creative Ideas for Outdoor LED Lighting
Professional lighting designers use LEDs to create stunning outdoor decorative schemes by taking advantage of the following features:
- Multi-coloured LED Bulbs. The bright and crisp nature of the basic LED bulb makes it a popular choice for emulating sunlight and illuminating areas for nighttime use. White is just the beginning when it comes to LED bulbs; they are available in a full-color spectrum to fit any need. A subdued blue or red is perfect for highlighting a nighttime pool area, sculpture, or planted areas. LED strips with a warm yellow tone are ideal for creating relaxing outdoor dining or a lounging area, particularly when attached to fencing, walls, or strung overhead.
- Fixtures and Pendants for Shadowing and Spotlighting. Cleverly placed LEDs help create dramatic shadows and reflections off of water, planters, trees, walls, and any other structure. The small nature of LEDs allows for use in hard to reach and creative areas where other lighting options simply can’t be used. One doesn’t have to settle for large and clunky fixtures or pendants anymore, or lights that are always either too bright or too dim.
- Driveway and Walkway Lighting. LEDs are the perfect fit for lining walkways and driveways at night, creating an enchanting and inviting glow. Strips are easily installed on the edges of walkways, while independent lanterns or pendants can be placed in nearby vegetation or trees to create a wider radiance and add visual depth to a yard. Last but not least, the durability and long-lasting nature of LEDs makes them a great fit for safety and security lighting.
LEDs are the premier lighting choice when it comes to energy efficiency, versatility, and cost saving. They are a powerful tool for any homeowner or landscape lighting designer, one that can enhance any home exterior or landscaping to new levels of both charm and security. When it comes to outdoor lighting, the world is a blank canvass—and LEDs are the perfect paintbrush.